Architect: Cornerstone Architects, Production Equipment: Giovanni Rana Pasta USA
Food Production Facility / Warehouse
Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing Engineering
The WT Group was hired to provided Mechanical, Plumbing and Electrical Engineering for a 2-phase project for a Rana Pasta Food Manufacturing Plant in Bartlett, Illinois. Phase 1 of the project included Mechanical, Plumbing and Electrical engineering design for the shell building which involved 3 levels and 2 mezzanines of office spaces, cafeteria, toilet rooms, break rooms, locker rooms, labs and kitchen prep areas. Phase 2 of the project involved Plumbing and Electrical Engineering Design for the three levels and two mezzanines for the production equipment area of the project.
Fun Facts about our MEP Design for this project:
1) Provided heating and cooling for the shell / office space for Phase 1 of the project.
2) Plumbing design consisted of over 2 miles of sewer piping, over 900 feet of 4” domestic water piping and over 300 trench drains.
3) The Electrical Engineering involved design of all distribution to over 15 major distribution points for production equipment, lighting and smaller panel boards for office loads. The bigger distribution boards included all Rana Pasta production equipment which equated to close to 1000KVA alone.
4) The Power design consisted of 4-4000A, 277/480V parallel sets of switchgear fed from 4 separate utility transformers. The switchgear is configured to be 2 sets of 2 linked 4000A pieces in case one or more transformers fail each set of the 2-4000A boards can be linked together via kirk key system.
5) The Lighting design included food processing high bay lighting, office, utility, exterior parking, and emergency egress lighting. (6) The Fire Alarm design was a complete non-coded, addressable system, including audible/visual notification devices, pull station and sensor initiation devices and all monitoring systems supervisory devices.